The article includes Match Review, Match Prediction, Where to watch cricket live streaming, Live Cricket Match Score Card, Live Cricket Score Ball by Ball, Day by Day Summary, Team Squads and Man of the Match Sections as India became no 1 test team with Kolkata win
India v New Zealand | 2nd Test | 4th Day | Eden Garden, Kolkata
India became no 1 test team with Kolkata win as the hosts beat New Zealand by 178 runs on the 4th day of the second test match between two countries.
It is India’s fourth series win in tests on trot. New Zealanders were without K Williamson who was suffering from fever and did not played the game. Although he came to the ground on fourth day to see his team misery. In a low scoring game New Zealand batting once again collapsed. This makes a mark on technique of teams other than sub-continent to play on spin tracks.
Virat Kohli win the toss for the sixth time in a row as India elected to bat first. India went on to score 316 in the first innings before they were bowled out on the second morning of the test match. Pujara scored 87 while Rahane managed to score 77 runs. Saha also score an unbeaten half century and remain not out on 54 runs. Henry took 3 for 46 for New Zealand.
New Zealand batting once again not clicked and the visitors got out on just 204 runs. None of the batsmen scored half century. Only Patel scored 47 runs. Bhuvneshwar Kumar took 5 for 48 and broke New Zealand back. Shami also took 3 for 70.
India in their second inning collapsed to 263 runs. It was Rohit Sharma who scored 82 and Saha scored his second half century of the match and scored 58 not out. Boult took 3 for 38 while Henry took 3 for 59. Santner also claimed 3 wickets for 60 runs.
Chasing a target of 376 runs New Zealand batting collapsed for the fourth time in the series. Latham was the one who managed to score 74 runs. He played some good shots and adjusted his technique against spinners before Aswin bowled him out just after tea.
Ashwin took 3 for 82 while Jadeja took 3 for 41. Shami also took 3 for 46. India went on to win the match by 178 runs and clinch the series 2-0 with one test match to go. Saha was named man of the match.
With the win India became no 1 team in test ranking. Before this Pakistan was holding the first spot after they leveled the test match series in England. But the title remain to Pakistan for just 2 months as India beat New Zealand in their home series and claim the spot. This makes test ranking an interesting one. Pakistan is now facing the challenge to beat West Indies, New Zealand and Australia in their future series to claim the no. 1 position once again.
Live Cricket Match Score Card
- Toss: India won the toss and elected to bat first
- India 1st innings: 316 for 10 (Pujara 87, Rahane 77, Saha 54*, Henry 3-46)
- New Zealand 1st innings: 204 for 10 (Patel 47, Bhuvneshwar 5-48, Shami 3-70)
- India 2nd innings: 263 for 10 (Rohit 82, Saha 58*, Boult 3-38, Henry 3-59, Santner 3-60)
- New Zealand 2nd innings: 197 for 10 (Latham 74, Jadeja 3-41, Ashwin 3-82, Shami 3-46)
- India won the match by 178 runs and clinch the series 2-0
- India lead the series 2-0.
Day by Day Summary
- Friday, 30 September – day 1 – India 1st innings 239/7 (Saha 14*, Jadeja 0*, 86 overs)
- Saturday, 01 October – day 2 – New Zealand 1st innings 128/7 (Watling 12*, Patel 5*, 34 overs)
- Sunday, 02 October – day 3 – India 2nd innings 227/8 (Saha 39*, Kumar 8*, 63.2 Overs)
- Monday, 03 October – day 4 – New Zealand 2nd innings 197/10 (81.1 overs)
Man of the match: WP Saha (India)
- S Dhawan
- M Vijay
- V Kohli
- CA Pujara,
- AM Rahane
- RG Sharma
- R Ashwin
- WP Saha
- RA Jadeja,
- Mohammad Shami
- B Kumar
New Zealand Squad
- TWM Latham
- MJ Guptill
- HM Nicholls
- LRPL Taylor
- L Ronchi
- MJ Santner
- BJ Watling
- MJ Henry
- JS Patel
- TA Boult
- N Wagner